RE: Fujitsu Multitainer

I replaced my living room DVD player with one and it's still in
daily(ish) use, though not quite as originally shipped.

The original software was pretty clunky and, thanks to running under
Windows 98, a bit flaky as well.  Unfortunately there is little or no
driver support for the MPACT chipset under later versions of Windows, so
I ended up fitting PCI graphics and sound cards so I could use Windows
XP.  I also doubled the RAM to 256Mb as I had some spare.

Software-wise, I use MyHTPC and Zoom Player, controlled purely by remote
with commands learned from the IR keyboard.  It is completely stable and
reasonably quick.  It's also pretty quiet, which is important as it is
in the living room.

I don't own an Xbox so can't comment from first hand experience, but
when I recently considered replacing the Multitainer with one, the lack
of support for DVD menus in xbmc and the inability of most x-boxes to
read CD-R discs put me off, but that may not be an issue for you.

HTH

Tim