Re: Webbrick

  • Subject: Re: Webbrick
  • From: "andythirtover" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:23:53 -0000

Dear[est] Group

Couple of answers:

a) Sir Tim Berners-Lee (inventor WWW) said that Python is a language
you can learn in one battery (i.e. a train journey and a laptop).
It is an ideal language for projects in that it can be used at many
levels:
i) as a 'batch' file
ii) as a 2-3 GL language
iii) as a full on OO, class based langauge

i.e. it grows with your own abilities.

There's no compiler, its interpreted (except classes that get
pre-compiled). There's no ';'s to get confused with and indentation is
used instead of '{' and '}' constructs.

It is also as platform independant as you can get.

b) PHP and Python seem to be growing together, although PHP is
web-centric.  PHP5 has good classes and built in XSLT.

Taking a) and b) together, I'd say that many enthuiasts could easily
use Python and that the complexities of products can be isolated into
class libraries.

Using PHP, I believe is a case of providing not only the library, but
the presentation routines so that enthuiasts can build web control
pages by building XML files.

On a final note, I ought fess-up that the WebBrick Mark played with is
actually destined for Mark McCall, I can only justify the delay as
extra 'testing'.

Regards

Andy