Install OS from USB HDD or Network

  • Subject: Install OS from USB HDD or Network
  • From: Simon Ryley <simon.ryley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:16:43 +0000

A question for all the experts out there.

I'm building my HTPC at the mo and to keep the cost down I want to buy
the DVD-RW drive at a later date.  I haven't got a spare CD drive
available without dismantling another machine, which I would rather avoid.

However, will I be able to install my OS (Win2k) without using the CD?
I haven't got a floppy drive to boot from either.
I have a USB2 HDD I can use, or I can put the contents of the Windows
2000 CD on a network share.  The bit I'm not sure about is how to tell
the new pc where to find the OS to install.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

TIA

Simon