Re: Equipment in loft - dust and heat issues?

  • Subject: Re: Equipment in loft - dust and heat issues?
  • From: "Andy Whitfield" <andywhitfield2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:48:37 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "dermot_bradley" <bradley@t...>
wrote:

> The info I found on Google seems to indicate that warm construction
> roofs shouldn't suffer from condensation at all.

When I mentioned condensation, it was only as a 'possibility' and
not something
that was a certainty to happen.  ;-)
Even so I think it would be a good idea to have some kind of cover
over the
equipment.  It's not impossible for the roof to leak!
Perhaps I'm over cautious but then I've had problems with
condensation and a
roof leaking when my stock has been in storage.

> > The flipside of the summer may be a bigger issue - if there is no
> > external mechanical ventilation then the space could get a bit
hot
> > in the summer and the heat problems will ensue. An extra vent/
fans
> > may be required.
>
> That's my main worry...there's no point have cases/cabinets with
lots
> of fans if its just blowing hot air around the loft.

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as the fans run all the
time and
you've got a good air flow within the equipment.  Maybe use extra
fans or fans
with a greater air flow?
You might find the operating temp in your server manuals, etc.
Just looked at APC and Powerware and their operating ambient temps
are between 10C and 40C.  Though Powerware recommends 15C to 25C to
prolong battery life.
Regards
Andy the UPS man