RE: Aerial Installation for Freeview

  • Subject: RE: Aerial Installation for Freeview
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:10:43 -0000

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, MR M T Golledge wrote:
> > I've never done this before and really don't fancy getting up on
the
> roof. I
> > phoned a company and they said it'd be =A3150 to replace the
aerial and
> lead
> > which I think is quite expensive.
>=20
> Sounds way out there. You should be able to get a local firm to deal
> for around =A340-=A350 I would have thought.
>=20
> Maccy

Depends very much on the aerial you want/need and how easy it is to get
access to the aerial position - where ours is is where our house adjoins
next door but our roof is higher than theirs so overhangs next doors roof
quite significantly. If next door hadn't agreed to let the installer use
their roof for access the job would have been much harder and would have
taken much longer (they could have used the other end of our roof which has
no adjoining property and that would have been p*ss easy but I didn't want
the aerial that end).

We're also in a "fringe" reception area so require quite a large
aerial too
(OK I realize that this doesn't add much to the price). I also had to shop
around and try several local installers until I could find one that would
use CT125 cable from the aerial into the loft (trying to eek what I can
fro=
our sh*tty reception) - most said that they wouldn't work with it even
though I said I'd provide it for free, still let them charge me for their
normal cable and not hold them responsible for warranting the cabling side
of the install.

Mine cost =A3120 and I was very happy with that price - the installer
seems=
have done a decent job and given that I would expect that to last around 10
years before it needs touching again then I don't think that was at all
unrealistic. I have to say that there's no way that I would get up on a
roo=
and fit an aerial (or expect someone else to) for =A340 - =A350.

Phil