Re: [OT]Digital Audio on DAT into PC

AIUI all the SB lives operate internally at 48KHz, the poor sample rate
conversion algorithms they use is the main cause of loss of quality.
The more recent SB cards are better, apparently.

If I were doing it I'd buy a proper sound card with bit accurate SPDIF
I/O, the M-Audio Audiophiles do this and aren't too expensive, and
have decent analogue I/O as well.

You could just try using the SB input and see how much degradation
it introduces. The SB card will only have to do one conversion, once
you've got it on the computer you can use Audition to resample back to
CD rate, and the Audition SR converters are very good. Although this
won't satisfy the purist, it will probably be perfectly acceptable to
your audience!

Bill

MHG> Hi all,

MHG> Odd question this.

MHG> I have a DAT I recorded (of the Christmas Carol service at church.)
I'd
MHG> like to get that onto, inter alia, a CD (also MP3s for the church
MHG> website.)

MHG> I did have the nouse to do the original recording at 44.1 :-)

MHG> I'm wondering what the best way to get it onto a PC is? One option
is to
MHG> borrow a PC from a friend over the weekend - with a copy of Adobe
MHG> Audition (formerly know as CoolEdit Pro), and a Soundblaster Live
MHG> (SP/DIF in version), and input from there.

MHG> On looking more closely at the way that Audition works, however, it
MHG> appears that the only way to import to WAV from SP/DIF is to pass
the
MHG> SP/DIF in through the SBL mixer, and then record from there.

MHG> What I'm not sure is whether doing this will create a native grab
of the
MHG> digital stream or, and, I fear this may be the case, be the nasty
hybrid
MHG> of some windows "back and forth" algorithm that
introduces stuff like