From: "Rob Mouser" <groups@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:34 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] Ebay / Paypal - Card Refund Claim

Hmmmm...Thought as much. Really is a good illustration of how dodgy Ebay
can
be:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brown-Leaves

At first glance he has a 97% positive feedback (It was higher than that
with
less negatives when I bid for the item) but when you look at the detail he
is clearly only fulfilling 50 odd % of his sales.

The PayPal investigation summary (Investigation? Yeh, right my A*se!) said
their were insufficient funds in his/her account to process the full refund
and yet he's still clearly taking PayPal payments on a regular basis.
He/she
must be emptying the account by the hour!

I would image Ebay/PayPal have pegged their buyers protection payout level
at a cost that is lower than 'actually' having staff / systems to guard
against fraud. Cant really slate them for this as the clearing banks take a
similar attitude towards fraud. For example most clearing banks now only
check cheque signatories on amounts over £10,000 as they calculated that
the
cost of having staff or IT systems that could check the signatories was
greater than fraud payouts. They also know from research that many people
NEVER check their bank statements and large amounts of small fraud goes
unnoticed!

With all the bad press about Ebay again at the moment it makes you wonder
if
the bubble will eventually burst....but.........I reckon.....FAT CHANCE as
there's too many willing mugs like me :-).

Rob