Re: [OT] Ebay / Paypal - Card Refund Claim

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Ebay / Paypal - Card Refund Claim
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:21:31 -0000

Hi Rob

I have generaly not had any issues with Ebay, however I recently=20
bought an item listed as Brand new in box, whn it arrived it was=20
clearly not new and had a fault.

I pay with PayPal as I thought it gave me some protection, when you=20
read the details of the buyer protection it looks like there is=20
little chance of them paying out.=20

Ian

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Rob Mouser" <groups@m...> wrote:

> Hmmmm...Thought as much. Really is a good illustration of how=20
dodgy Ebay can be:
>=20
> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brown-Leaves
>=20
> At first glance he has a 97% positive feedback (It was higher than=20
that with less negatives when I bid for the item) but when you look=20
at the detail he is clearly only fulfilling 50 odd % of his sales.=20
>=20
> The PayPal investigation summary (Investigation? Yeh, right my=20
A*se!) said their were insufficient funds in his/her account to=20
process the full refund and yet he's still clearly taking PayPal=20
payments on a regular basis. He/she must be emptying the account by=20
the hour!=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> I would image Ebay/PayPal have pegged their buyers protection=20
payout level at a cost that is lower than 'actually' having staff /=20
systems to guard against fraud. Cant really slate them for this as=20
the clearing banks take a similar attitude towards fraud. For=20
example most clearing banks now only check cheque signatories on=20
amounts over =A310,000 as they calculated that the cost of having=20
staff or IT systems that could check the signatories was greater=20
than fraud payouts. They also know from research that many people=20
NEVER check their bank statements and large amounts of small fraud=20
goes unnoticed!=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> With all the bad press about Ebay again at the moment it makes you=20
wonder if the bubble will eventually burst....but.........I=20
reckon.....FAT CHANCE as there's too many willing mugs like me :-).