Lets Automate CM12U X10 HA controller - software I/F options.

  • Subject: Lets Automate CM12U X10 HA controller - software I/F options.
  • From: "David Chapman" <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:22:00 -0000

Just had one of these delivered - it's the box that links the PC to the
mains to send X10 commands. Although described as USB it has a 9 pin serial
interface with a bundled Prolific USB-serial converter. This has proved a
pain to setup on XP machines - eventually found one that would work with
the
converter and let me change the port to Com2 (the only port I could get the
CM12 to recognise).

First question - any recomendations for PCI - Serial port cards ? Ideally
with 4 ports as two never seem to be enough and none of the new Dell PCs
have serial ports any more. I think a card might be more reliable than USB.

The CM12 comes with "Active Home 1.42" software which is just
about OK but
I'm sure there must be something better, I don't want to go as far as the
full Homeseer software at £130, is there anything else free or inexpensive
should look at ?

David C