Re: [OT] Measuring carpet...

Hi Tim,

What were the actual dimensions?

Your guesses are about right from what I remember...

Sounds like something's definitely wrong!!

Too right!
I've just measured what's left over and it's at least 5m2

It can't be the first time he'd seen them though, can it?
> I'd speak to him and see what he suggests.
> Not that it's really the point, but do the mats still work with the
> staples removed?

I presumed as he didn't ask, he knew what they were.
I've only got access to the wires of one mat - somehow he's managed to pull
the wires of the other three.
(My fault - I should have secured the wires underneath).
The remaining mat does work (I think), as for the other 3 it may be years
before I find out!

Anyway, lessons have been learned :o\
(Don't let the misses buy carpet ;o))

Thanks,
Andy.

On 12/12/05, Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG) <haweste@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
eventua=
lly
> get fixed though.
>
> I don't want to sound like I'm defending them however my replies may
come
> across.
>
> > Summary of the story:
> >  - Misses wanted to get new carpet for the stairs so I gave
> > her the measurements (worked out that we need ~5 square meters).
>
> What were the actual dimensions?
>
> >  - She goes to Carpet Right and is told that she needs 2.6m
> > off a 4 meter roll
> >  - She comes home and I can't for the life of me figure out
> > why we need so much (10.4 square meters)
>
> 2.6 * 4 =3D 10.4m2...but...
>
> If you have a straight run of 13 steps (guessed) and the riser and
going
> are both 0.250m (guessed) then you need (0.25+0.25)*13 =3D 6.5m
> If your stairs are 0.8m wide then that's 6.5*0.8=3D5.2m2
>
> At a 4m width that's, say, two 3.5m lengths out of each width and a
lengt=
> off the roll of 1.6m (say 2m to allow for trimming - two lots of .1m
at
> each side of each 3.5m length) so you'd expect to receive a piece 2m x
4m
> (i.e. 8m2)
> At first I'd thought they'd allowed for the run of the stairs to be
along
> the run of the roll, rather than the width, but unless you've got very
sm=
all
> stairs that doesn't work either. So at a minimum you've got a piece 4m
by
> 0.6m (i.e. 2.4m2) that you don't need.
>
> Sounds like something's definitely wrong!!
>
> >  - I ring Carpet "Right" and query this and the guy
assumes I
> > know nothing about the way the carpet is cut/measured and
> > manages to fob me off telling me; "There will be some
> > wastage, but not much"
>
> >  - On top of that, I ask whether I can use my own grippers
> > (they were charging =A31.75 per gripper when I could have got
> > 100 from Screwfix for =A323).
> > They said "Not really" as the fitter may charge extra
for
> > installing non Carpet "Right" grippers and that they
would
> > affect the warranty.
>
> C-R fitted a new bedroom carpet on top of old underlay and with
existing
> grippers so I suspect that was just BS... :-(((
> I know what you mean though - they really do mark up this stuff to
make u=