RE: Media Server options

I went with 5 disks rather than 4 for two reasons...
=20
- the 500GB aren't as economic as the 400GB in terms of price per GB (my
5x=
400 cost about =A3800, whereas 4x500 looks to be nearer to =A3900)
- I lose slightly less due to RAID overhead, so my array will be 1.6TB
inst=
ead of 1.5TB; -  may not sound like much but its another months growth!
- more spindles (generally) =3D better performance.... (now putting my
flam=
esuit on!)
=20
I am concerned a bit about the density of these disks, but thats partly
the=
reason I went for the "RAID Edition" which are supposedly rated
for a more=
demanding duty cycle, and have a longer warranty period to match (5 years)=
. Also, the drive cage will have a ruddy great fan on the back of it, and
m=
y rack is in the cellar which is generally quite cool, even in the summer.
=
Plus it's in a big 4U rackmount case with plenty of room in it for
airflow.=
- I'll see if I can get some temp. monitoring in there - I'm sure I have a=
stick-on probe somewhere...
=20
I've also gone for a Highpoint rocketraid controller, in my case the
RR1820=
A - only SATA-150, since I figure there's not much point in paying more
for=
SATA-II since I can't find a motherboard with a PCI-X slot to run it in fo=
r sensible money, and those that I can find don't have all the other
featur=
es I need, so I'm going to be running mine in a normal PCI slot. Even
then,=
I don't think I will ever be pumping enough data through the storage subsy=
stem to saturate the PCI bus... the most I envisage would be perhaps 2
audi=
o streams and maybe a single DVD video stream at the same time (and since
t=
here's only 2 of us in our house, even that much seems unlikely!)
=20
I did think of waiting it out for a PCI-Express version of the card to
beco=
me available, but I'm running out of space *now*, and there's no guarantee
=
when a PCI-e version will be available. My card also supports online
capaci=
ty expansion, and I'm loading it up with 5 disks initially, which I have
pr=
ojected will give me a full years worth of growth at my current rates, and
=
I can then add up to 3 more drives to the array which should be good for
at=
least another year after that. - Two years from now, I'm rather hoping tha=
t 1TB disks will be available! (at which point I'll rebuild the array with
=
half the number of drives)
=20
Paul G.