Re: Media Server options

  • Subject: Re: Media Server options
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:02:09 -0000

Hi Dave,=20
Do you mind me asking...How did you get the discs out of the machine?!
how are they all connected?!

Just about to ask another question on a similar topic so the answer
may well apply!
Cheers
Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dave Sussman" <davids@i...> wrote:

> I'd keep an eye on that server if I were you. I have exactly the
same server and found it overheating, which is why I moved the discs
outside of the machine. Despite having enough power connectors, I
don't really think the machine is suitable for lots of discs and find
the cooling a little understated.
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> ________________________________
>=20
Behalf Of Neil Spellings
> Sent: 05 December 2005 13:58
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Media Server options
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> Paul Gordon wrote:
> > OK, so my new media server is nearly ready to be assembled... -
I've just ordered 2TB of disks (oh yeah baby!)
>=20
> Funnily enough I've just finished my new media server - sounds
pretty=20
> similar.
>=20
> I bought one of the cheap Dell PowerEdge 830 servers for =A3370, a
PCI-X=
=20
> SATA300 RAID controller and 4 500Gb SATA II discs giving 1.5Tb in a=20
> RAID5 array.
>=20
> Went with a Highpoint RocketRAID 2320 in the end as it supports
online=20
> capacity extension (for when I invariably run out of storage in x
years=20
> time!) and the new SATA 300 standard.
>=20
> I went with 4 discs instead of 5 so I could avoid the enclosure
issue. I=20
> also think packing 5 discs into the space designed for 4 could
cause=20
> overheating unless your enclosure is well cooled.
>=20
> Now setting up Apache so it can proxy all my other various internal=20
> webservers and network devices to make them accessible from the net=20
> (Homeseer, media server, SIP phone, web mail, TV etc etc)
>=20
> No photos as, well, its just a grey box!
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
>=20
> /Neil/
>=20
> --=20
> Web design, hosting and domain registration
> http://www.spellings.net/
>=20
> Hardware store
> http://buyit.spellings.net
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Home repair improvement
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DHome+repair+improvement&w1=3DHome+=
repair+improvement&w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=
=3D76&.sig=3DTcERUCDPQcJLbg9mtvQGJQ>
=20
>=20
> Computer stuff
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DComputer+stuff&w1=3DHome+repair+im=
provement&w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=3D76&.sig=
=3DplS9-eUUfaBXyLVFT87AJg>
=20
>=20
> High
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DHigh&w1=3DHome+repair+improvement&=
w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=3D76&.sig=3Db5d547gP=
x7eFWNGqXQCl7A>
=20
>=20
> Improvement
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DImprovement&w1=3DHome+repair+impro=
vement&w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=3D76&.sig=3DO=
6pw_oratTOwep2G_91fIQ>
=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
"
on the web.
>=20=09=20=20
> *	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>=20=09=20=20
> *	 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
.=20