Re: [OT] Water Conditioners...

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Water Conditioners...
  • From: "Ewen Cameron" <ejc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 14:14:28 -0000

The ones that rap wires around the pipes are not ment to work very
well.  They charge the particles (or something) in the water so that
it does not stick to pipes etc, however over time the charge is
lost.  So water sitting in a hot water tank will loose it's charge,
as will any water in the pipes.  On an industrial scale the process
can work very well when the water keeps flowing.  We fitted on at
home and found that the shower door did stay abit cleaner but not
much.

Recently we had a proper softener plumbed in and we have gone from
very hard water to rediculously soft water.  We got Kinetico softener
and had it supplied and fitted by Simply Soft, who I would recommend
(they did a good job at a good price - the only complaint was that on
the first visit they came with the wrong tap and had to make a second
visit).  Email me off list if you want to know about the relative
merits of the different softener on the market.  Installation is very
easy (softener in node0 as that's where the water mains comes in).
The hardest part was running a third pipe to our kitchen tap so we
have soft-hot, soft-cold & hard-filtered-cold (filter fitted under
sink).

It's hard to say if a softener saves money.  Bathroom stays cleaner,
taps look great (not covered in limescale).  You use less soap and
washing powder.  In theory clothes last longer, e.g. black t-shirts
don't turn grey. Don't forget the cost of salt for a plumbed in
softener - about 4 pounds a month.

Ewen

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Wayne <Wayne@p...> wrote:

> Hiyall,
> Further to the recent replacement of our washing machine (as the
other
> decided that it wanted to eat our clothes and make funny noises!)
we