Re: CPU Cooling advise needed

  • Subject: Re: CPU Cooling advise needed
  • From: "Tim Fletcher" <timfletcher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:10:25 -0000

Hi Darren,
I have the same case as you  and I found the CPU fan the only real problem.
I bought a posh cooler (I'll look it up and mail the details offlist) with
more or less the same footprint as the Intel cooler (Couldn't guarantee one
of those Zalman flower jobbies would fit) but it was still pretty noisy.
The best thing I bought was a £4 choke from Ebay - it sits between the CPU
fan and the socket for the fan power on the mobo and you can adjust the fan
speed.  Cranked teh cpu fan down by about 15% - no noticeable effect on
cooling but about half the noise.  I was playing with a mates Evesham EBox
yesterday (bought for £25PM under the HCI!) and it is quite a bit noisier
than mine.  Mine is by no means silent, but slips under the radar for noise
when in action!  I think you can get teh chokes in Maplin and IIRC you
could
get one that speeds up the fan with temperature.  I'd try slowing the fan
you have down (keep an eye on the temp) and if you can't cool it enough go
to a quieter cooler.

Also S3 suspend is really important to enable!

HTH

Tim.

Hi All,

My Antec Black Piano media center case is screaming at me constantly
(moreover the CPU fan is!) and I can't put up with it any longer. Do I
need to change the CPU fan? if so what can anyone recommend? I don't
want some huge monster hanging out the top of the case or a water
cooling tower.

TIA
Darren