Latest message you have seen: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Home_DIY_Rack_Wins_Creator_a_=A320K_Car?=

Re: [OT] Import tax

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Import tax
  • From: "Mark Harrison (Groups)" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:39:34 +0100

Sun, 2005-08-21 at 20:21 +0100, Ho Yin Ng wrote:

> Sorry this is such an OT post, but I want to get some stuff shipped
> over from the States.
>
> If the equipment is used is there still an import tax that I have to
> pay?

AIUI, probably.

Import Duty is normally paid on the _first_ import to the _EU_ of any
item, irrespective of whether its age.

If the item has spent its life outside of Europe, then yes, import duty
is payable on the entire cost of the item INCLUDING shipping, and VAT is
normally payable on the entire sum INCLUDING VAT on the import duty!

If, however, the item was originally sold in Europe, and then used in
the US, then it may be that duty has already been paid.

Case "1" has applied to me because I've imported technology
equipment
when it wasn't available in the UK.

Case "2" I know because of the "classic car" question
that plays a part
of my life. Next month, I have to bring back a radiator that was bought
by a Canadian from a UK supplier, then exported to Canada, and then
never used because his car was written off shortly after - he's now
bought a car in the UK for his holidays, so wants the radiator back over
here.

M.