Latest message you have seen: Re: Currentcost software ? (was Currentcost USB lead)

Fw: CBus / X10 Opinions please

  • Subject: Fw: CBus / X10 Opinions please
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:00:52 +0100

A few points I can put forward, having both X10 and CBUS (mostly CBUS=20
now).

For the lighting, CBUS is the way forward - with the CBUS switches you=20
know what is on, wherever you want. With X10, a momentary switch is hard=20
wired, with no real status response (or even guaranteed status).

For the mains (within a house) X10 is more flexible - unless you go down=20
the wireless CBUS route which can be very expensive indeed. With a mains=20
socket, you dont really know whats going to be plugged in, whereas=20
lighting is fixed.

Using Comfort which has an X10 and a CBUS interface, CBUS switches can now=
=20
control X10 devices - Comfort monitors X10 commands and sets the status on=
=20
the buttons accordingly, as well as actioning X10 commands.

For my requirements as I have Comfort, it currently handles ALL the
logic=20
in the house - there is a HomeSeer PC for logging only (logs Comfort and=20
CBUS and X10). Power cuts arent a problem with no PC involved, and I'm=20
tempted to UPS some parts of the CBUS system :-)

CBUS pics at http://palmlodge.com

G.

Gareth Cook
Tools and Process Architect
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
email: g@xxxxxxx

=20
----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 16/08/2005 13:55 -----