Latest message you have seen: Re: Thoughts on storage devices??

RE: CBus / X10 Opinions please

Seconded, - and would add the following:
=20
Definately put CAT5 wiring in now for CBUS, then you can easily implement
C=
BUS as/when you want to, - but, - I would recommend that you do this with
t=
he "proper" CBUS pink CAT5 cable... - Yes this does cost more
than bog-stan=
dard grey stuff (probably about double), - but it's still not a huge
expens=
e, - especially in the context of the cost of having a whole house built!
-=
=A350 instead of =A325 is hardly going to make a difference there is it! -=
The pink stuff does have a couple of advantages, - primarily that the pink=
outer jacket is mains rated, - this means it can be used in the same backb=
ox as mains cable without the physical seperation requirements that the
reg=
s dictate between mains/Low Voltage cables in the same enclosure. (I
imagin=
e that being a new build, you will be subject to inspections of your
wiring=
, so I guess conforming to the regs is probably an important consideration
=
in your case...). Also, the different colour does make it a lot easier to
m=
anage back at the "node 0" point, - especially if you are also
running lots=
of other CAT5 runs in grey cable for the usual structured wiring purposes.=
..
=20
Secondly, I would suggest that your question is erroneous... - why choose
s=
trictly one or the other? - they are not mutually exclusive. Why not use
wh=
ichever technology is best suited to each individual application... - X10
i=
s undoubtedly cheaper(*) than CBUS, and maybe all that is justifiable in
ce=
rtain rooms? - also, there's no doubting the convenience of just being
able=
to bung in an X10 plug-in lamp or appliance module anywhere you like, at a=
moments notice and not have to worry about wiring contraints to the dedica=
ted bus (like when you decide you want to put a new table lamp
somewhere...=
). There are numerous ways that CBUS and X10 can be bridged, - you don't
sa=
y what your HA controller is, but most of them can be connected up to a
CBU=
S network to control it (A CBUS PCI module provides an RS232 port that can
=
be used to control the CBUS loads for example).
=20
(*) - Although X10 is cheaper than CBUS, does it really work out *that*
muc=
h cheaper in the long run, given that if you decide to upgrade to CBUS
late=
r on, then likely any investment you have made in the X10 kit will be
waste=
d... - As I always say: "To buy cheap is to buy twice"... -
Comparing the u=
p-front hardware costs, - and if you avoid using some of the more
"sexy" CB=
US items (like the Saturn switches and the touchscreens for instance),
then=
I think it is probably possible to to achieve CBUS lighting for not much m=
ore than about three times the cost of X10 per channel... - A quick check
o=
n the web shows that X10 DIN modules can be had for about =A325 if bought
i=
n 5-packs, and a 4-channel CBUS dimmer can be had for about =A3370
(=A392/c=
hannel) - however the CBUS costs can be reduced substantially if you
attend=
the 2-day CBUS training course in Coventry, since you will not only walk a=
way from the course with a load of CBUS kit (worth more than the course
cos=
ts!), but you should also then be entitled to the CBUS discount programme
w=
hich affords you significant savings (I can't remember the percentages
righ=
t now, but is something like a quarter off the price)....
=20
One other potential advantage that I have heard mentioned elsewhere, is
tha=
t CBUS is counted as an energy management system, and therefore excuses
you=
from the nanny-like requirements to use those poxy low energy light bulbs =
that I believe is now mandatory in new builds... (I'm not sure of the
facts=
of this situation, it's just something I have seen mentioned on the selfbu=
ild site..)
=20
Lastly of course, is the fact that X10 isn't really going anywhere any
more=
... - the US seems to have a much more active X10 market, and so they do
se=
em to get a fair amount of progress, new R&D, new modules being
released et=
c... Over here, we seem to get very little in the way of development of
the=
X10 technologies... - it takes *years* for new modules to trickle out out =
in UK format... - how many new X10 modules have there been in the UK in
the=
last 5 years for instance... - I can only think of a few....  Whereas CBUS=
for example appears to be taking off like a rocket these days... - hardly =
a year goes by without a slew of new CBUS modules being released.. - all
of=
which is just my opinion of coourse, but from my perspective, CBUS is the =
system with the greatest-looking future...
=20
HTH
=20
Paul G.