RE: Re: DIY Heating Interface - Review

  • Subject: RE: Re: DIY Heating Interface - Review
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:37:46 +0100

Regarding the room temp sensor mounting, it might be worth bearing in mind
that the sensor element needs to be insulated from the metal housing to
avoid direct conduction from the housing/wall. It=92s also a good idea to
h=
ave
the sensor element sitting off the wall surface so it gets good airflow
across it =96 you can get a boundary effect at the wall surface that
reduce=
the accuracy of the reading otherwise. Finally make sure the cable entry to
the back of the sensor is sealed =96 the wall cavities in dry lined
externa=
walls can be incredibly draughty places which can sometimes cause problems.
Having said that it=92s all relative, and in any case should be more
responsive than a bi-metallic thermostat.

=20

In some tests with a button type sensor similar to that Steve describes
& a
thimble type sensor with the sensor element around 20mm from the wall, the
thimble gave a faster response and closer temperature reading to the
reference sensor. The differences were in tenths of a degree so not too
muc=
of a problem, and in the end it was the mechanical protection of the
thimbl=
housing that was a major factor in deciding to use them in preference to
th=
button sensor.

=20

_____=20=20