Re: Web server access

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 22:27 +0100, David Greaves wrote:
> Of course if you want to do it securely you'll run ssh and use its
> port
> forwarding. Not hard really and it means that you only need to
> configure
> it once and it works for any network service on your entire internal
> network. File/print sharing, http, pop, imap etc etc.
>
> ssh is a standard part of cygwin so can even run on windows boxen :)
>
> 'putty' is then a trivial single file executable on any client that
> can't run ssh natively.

I think I'd better explain why I _don't_ do this :-)

In general terms, I access the Internet from one of two places:

- My house
- Client sites

Most of my clients are "big companies". As such, they have
strongly
locked down Internet access policies that prevent me from running any
software that they haven't already installed, and prevent me accessing
the Internet on any ports other than 80 and 443. Even though I often
take my own laptop with me, I'm not allowed to attach it to their
network. (Hence I use https and Apache username/passwords for my reverse
proxy.)

If I was going to be doing remote access from "normal" places
(friend's
houses, web cafes, small businesses that allow more open access), then
I'd almost certainly go with the SSH approach. I have putty installed on
all my Windows boxes in any case, since I use it for admin of the Linux
servers.

Regards,

Mark