RE: 10MB broadband for me then!

  • Subject: RE: 10MB broadband for me then!
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:44:33 +0100

> > Of course the reason we want higher upstream speeds (and
> precisely the
> > reason they don't want to give us higher upstream speeds)
> is so that
> > we can run home servers and they are more than aware of
> this and are
> > trying to find implementable ways to nobble the home server user.
>
> I'd actually suspect that:
> a) they're playing serious marketing user-aquisition games
> and the public think that 10+384 is better than 8+4

Well of course - everyone knows that 10 meg broadband is ten times faster
than 1 meg (basically most people would never even think about it being
asymmetric).

> b) they want to maximise downstream so you can eventually
> subscribe to 'pay per view' services like "watch last night's
> Eastenders for 50p"

Yes - video on demand is the main impetus for the shove ... However it
seems
that some marketing bod has decided it would be a great hook for customers
and someone else higher has agreed, has done a Jean-Luc-Picard and has
decreed "Make it so..."

> and they actually don't give a flying fig about geeks running
> servers :) (l33t users sharing warez _may_ be on the radar
> but I doubt it)

No - they do apparently give quite a flying fig ... Unattended data
transfers such as peer-to-peer/bittorrent are taking quite a toll on
bandwidth and don't require a techhead to set up - little Billy in his
bedroom can run Azureus and saturate his line for hours on end (both up and
down) and the way that their network nodes are allocated out in the street
relies on bandwidth being shared.

Phil