RE: [OT] Limiting the use of USB devices on Windows XP

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Limiting the use of USB devices on Windows XP
  • From: "Ward, David" <DAvid.Ward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:57:36 +0100

Thanks, but we've tried that and it's doesn't work as advertised :S

If that camera uses a common interface controller, and the manufacturer
hasn't paid their $1500 to buy a unique ID   Device lock ends up allowing
any device with that controller chip!

---------
The VID/PID that DeviceLock uses originates from the controller chip, not
the flash storage.

I will give you a simple example, which I have just tried.

My company has identified the StegoStik (this product:
http://www.stegostik.com/) as our
mandatory flash device.  Hence in our
initial evaluation of DeviceLock (currently on a single machine only), we
have "whitelisted" this device, and blocked all others.

It is completely irrelevant to me WHERE DeviceLock gets the information
from, but DeviceLock defines a 64MB StegoStik DeviceLock's own "USB
Devices
database" as follows:

Description				DeviceID
USB Mass Storage Device		USB\Vid_0ea0&Pid_2168&Rev_0200

This is what is added to the whitelist in DeviceLock in order to allow
access to it.

Now, if I take a 1GB PQI Intelligent stick (this product:
http://www.emartbuy.com/uk/catalog/item/miscl/itemDetail.aspx?itemId=445
) and insert it, DeviceLock reports the same VID/PID combination and ALLOWS
ME TO ACCESS IT!

The point I'm making here is that the DeviceLock manual states:

"It means that all devices belonging to the certain model of the
certain
vendor will be recognized as the one authorized Device"

This statement is fundamentally incorrect, as I can sit here with two
different products, that look completely different, from two different
vendors, in two massively different capacities, and DeviceLock tells me
that
it's the same device and allows it to be used, simply because they share a
common part (i.e. the controller chip)!