Re: HA alarm intergation.

  • Subject: Re: HA alarm intergation.
  • From: "Brian Milton" <bmilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:11:02 -0000

Kevin,

I got a email back from HKC and they can supply me with the cable so
thats fine.  The port is used for connecting a printer and
communicating with a PC just by using a different type of cable.  They
said the com rate it 2400 bps.  As regarding enableing it that can be
done through the keypad and yes everything is logged.

As far as i can make out the software is just a peice of software with
a GUI of the keypad and it can be used localy or remotely to save and
load configurations etc.

I have a couple of keypads in the house and when i do anything on one
keypad it shows on the other and also texts my mobile so i assume it
outputs to the serial port as well. The settings for the digi text
dialer are the same of the serial port except from a couple of items.
Hopefully when i get the cable i can see if there is anything coming
out of the port.

Cheers

Brian

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...> wrote:
> Hi brian,
>
> This is probably possible - the 4 wires will likely be RX TX GND and
> maybe +5V or +12V (one could be a CTS signal)  - I would recommend
> initially a scope rather than just serial attachment if that was
> possible.  Looking at the pcb track wiring will probably identify the
> power supply pins.  The worry would be sticking RS232 out from your PC
> into the panels RS232 output - normally it doesn't harm but it could
if
> the design was poor.  This o/p could be 5V level rather than true
RS232
> too.  You also need to guess the speed although 1200, 2400 or 9600 are
> favourites (poss 19.2 or 38.4)  8N1
>
> However - and here's the bad news - the protocol that the alarm uses
is
> likely to be very complex, and not something you will be able to
reverse
> engineer. (assuming it isnt a standard). It also likely to be
> interactive - ie do this get this back  then do this type of
thing...
> Just arbitrarily entering codes could set states in the alarm panel
that
> you are unaware of and make it unuseable eg disabling zones/features
or
> creating timers or something. I also suspect that almost nothing will
> come out the serial port until you 'enable' it and you may not know
how
> to achieve that. If the panel supports 'logging' or printer output
that
> may be a route. My recommendation would be to explore all the
avenues ie
> official and unofficial ;-)  to get hold of the software, even then
you
> may need the protocol too as otherwise you can only achieve what the
> software app allows.
>
> Kevin
> (having been in a similar position for my Galaxy alarm ... for a
while)

> >Also the serial connection on the board is a white 4 pin connector
like the
> >ones on a motherboard for sound etc.  Do these type of connections
have a
> >name so I could see if I could get a cable to connect to my pc if
can't