Fw: Re: IP Cams - do they stream ?

  • Subject: Fw: Re: IP Cams - do they stream ?
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:36:39 +0100

The venue is in Glasgow. And regards the upstream - if need be, will have
to take the Thinkpad and use something like netmeeting

G.

Gareth Cook
Tools and Process Architect
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
email: g@xxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 04/08/2005 09:27 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Yesterday 22:49

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] Re: IP Cams - do they stream ?
.
Category:

Gareth - both Axis and Mobotix support video streaming.
However, you are going to have a problem with the upstream bandwidth.
If you stream using mpeg2 you need something like 1mbps bandwidth
(minimum).
We have not have a chance to test mpeg4 (which is supposed to be
more efficient) but i'd be surprised if it uses less than 0.5mbps
bandwidth.  So quite frankly, your best route is to use mjpeg at a
low frame rate - something like 10fps or 5fps should do it.  It will
be jerkey but at least it will be realtime.
Also, unless you use a remote server, every connection to the camera
will need its bandwidth - so two users connected will use twice as
much bandwidth.  Three will bring the netwoek down to its knees.
Axis (not sure about mobotix) has options to upload mjpeg/stream to
an isp server to which it can be broadcasted without the limitations
of the DSL link - but requires some work.

Good luck and happy wedding.

Juan

PS - Just a thought. Is the venue in the UK? If so, you MAY be able
to bargain with the ADSL provider for a 8mbps link (which has a
800Kbps upstream bandwidth) for a week or so - which will help
significantly.