Re: Need a bigger UPS ?

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Benfield" <yahoo@b...> wrote:
> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3D75521
> > &item=3D5181647370&rd=3D1=20
>=20
> Oh bugger, 415V 3 phase, otherwise I would have been tempted!

I know you're probably joking about wanting a 60kva UPS but if anyone=20
is thinking about getting a large UPS then here are a few things to=20
consider.

UPSs can be 3 phase in/out or single phase in/out but also 3 phase in=20
and single phase out.  So you need check both input and output for=20
voltage and phase(s).  (I'm not sure if they can be single in and 3=20
phase out).

Age of the UPS is all important.  If it's an old unit then more=20
likely to break down and batteries probably need replacing.  Also=20
spare parts for old units will be hard to come by and expensive!

Cost of replacing batteries.  The one in the auction seems to take=20
198 batteries.  See photo of the label.  I don't know what batteries=20
it takes but 12v7Ah are commonly used.  Lets say a cheap price of =A312=20
each then that comes to =A32376 for a battery change.  And probably=20
need a Chloride engineer to do the battery swap so a few more hundred=20
pounds cost.

If the UPS is installed in to a work environment then the is the cost=20
of an insured electrician to connect it up.

I've been told some large UPSs have a particular start up sequence=20
otherwise they can suffer damage.  So may need to pay an engineer to=20
start up the UPS.

So by the time you've paid for the UPS, paid for collection/shipping,=20
paid for an electrician to connect it, possibly had to pay for an=20
engineer to start the UPS and at some point will have to pay for=20
replacement batteries and an engineer to change them, then it's not=20
going to be a cheap unit!  Maybe =A35000++
And then you've got all your eggs in one basket so if it breaks down=20
you've got no back-up at all.   IMO better to have several cheaper=20
UPSs

Andy  (the UPS man)
PS: I don't deal in such large units but I have got long run time=20
units that would keep lights, PC, servers, TVs, fridge, etc running=20
for may hours.