Re: Networking Tivo

On Apr 8, 2005 10:49 AM, Rob Lamb <those@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Finally got my hands on a Tivo and would like to add it to the
> network. It appears as though there are a few different cards to do
> this so was wondering if there were any recommendations and the best
> place to get it? Have hardwired (prob preferred) or wireless.

Rob, there are about 3 main variations of the card:
1) cachecard
2) Turbonet
3) Terbonet

I have a TiVo, but have never tinkered with it. But I follow the TiVo
forums closely, so hopefully someone with actually experience will
back up my hearsay.

The Turbonet was the original card, and just gives you a LAN
connection. The Terbonet is a low cost open source version of the
turbonet. The cache card takes a 512 Mb ram stick, which the TiVo then
uses to cache the whole database, making access a lot faster, although
there are mixed reports on how much of a gain this actually is.

TiVo forum
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
theres a bulk buy of terbonet cards in progress at:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=232279

HTH

Simon