Photos on Yahoo Groups

  • Subject: Photos on Yahoo Groups
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:14:44 +0100

Hi All,

Frank's recent posting of the superb looking Clipsal Saturn switches has
made me think of a recurring problem.

Given that the people on this list are confirmed gadget freaks many of whom
are at the cutting edge of technology, we are constantly running out of
space for photos as Yahoo only give a meagre 30Mb of space. When this
happens people are unable to view any photos and Mark then has to delete
some of the photos to enable the gallery to work again. Currently at 98%
capacity so some more deletions are not far away :-(

I wonder if we could use an alternative approach whereby people with their
own webspace upload photos to a directory on their own website and then
post
a link to the list. Many people have far more webspace allocated than they
are actually likely to fill and apart from an initial flurry of activity
when the link is posted, the amount of bandwidth used on each personal
website should be minimal.

We could then possibly create a "master list" of the individual
galleries
that people could then visit. This would overcome the problem of lack of
space effectively giving unlimited amounts of storage and would mean that
we
no longer have to lose older photos which may still be on interest to
people.

Is it a workable idea or are there any other suggestions ?

Regards

Keith (co-moderator UKHA_D)