[OT] PC help please - or is it coinsidence

  • Subject: [OT] PC help please - or is it coinsidence
  • From: "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:59:12 +0100

Either its me, or there's something strange happening with our PC at work..

Came back in after weekend to find my own PC dead - had gone off and
wouldnt
come back on - assumed PSU had failed - opened it up, found a suitable
donor
PSU and replaced - turn on and nothing, well nothing expect a single spin
of
the CPU fan. Spend an age trying to get it going, removed all bits and
pieces, changed Memory etc. and nothing. I could make the CPU fan spin
continuously by removing the core CPU supply plug (square 4pin thing) - but
then nothing else worked anyway.

I assume this is knacked CPU ? - any thoughts.

Come in this morning to find CCTVServer dead - another failed PSU - changed
this one and thankfully now up and running - this is second PSU in 4 months
in this machine. - coincidence ?

Now have been told we have ANOTHER failed machine this morning, this time
power is ok, but absolutely nothing happens on power up - fan runs, no VGA,
no POST beeps, nothing - coincidence again ?

The first two machine both site on UPS's so should have nice clean
supplies,
the 3rd doesnt.

All machine are different ages/makes, though all white box. All are
connected to same network - cant be a virus doing this can it ?

We seem to have let something slip through as we have always relied on
external scanning, and not local AV protection, though i am now
implementing
this.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated - we only have 10 machine so 30%
failure
is not good for 2 days, and i have far better things to do than sitting on
the floor poking around in dusty PC's !!!

Thanks

Dean.