[OT] tape backup with XP

  • Subject: [OT] tape backup with XP
  • From: "Matthew Miles" <m_miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:21:31 -0000

Hey all,

I recently bought an HP Surestore 12000e 24/48Gb autoloader off eBay.
I want to use it to backup all albums (rather than feed CD's into a
computer for about a week!).  I will be using it with a Compaq
Proliant 850R (low spec, but it doesnt need much power really).

Problem is that i'm waiting for a cable (SCSI II narrow > SCSI 3
68pin) so I can't connect it all up yet.  I do however, have an
Adaptec 1640 PCMCIA SCSI card which I have used to hook the autoloader
up to my XP home laptop.

Here is where the problem starts...

I cannot seem to get it to write at more than 1:1 compression.
Originally it would only write at 0.8:1 - I didn't realise that this
was possible!  I messed with the dip switches on the bottom and turned
hardware compression off and host control on. This improved it to 1:1.
But I have 40ish Gb of music so I ideally need as near to 2:1
compression as possible.

Any ideas for software and/or what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Matt Miles

P.S

I managed to get hold of an old copy of Veritas 8 which I will use on
the server - but it won't install on XP for obvious reasons.