Re: DNS problems

  • Subject: Re: DNS problems
  • From: Martin Howell <martin.howell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:22:24 +0100

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the comprehensive help.  I knew that DNS must run on the
DC in an AD environment, but I assumed that it would peacefully co-exist
with the DNS in the router - this seems to be the source of the problem,
and it looks as if the router doesn't do 'real' DNS, but acts as a relay
to the main ISP DNS server, whether this has an impact or not, don't
know.  Interestingly, the problem was there even when the AD was turned
off, but I suspect that the server may still 'think' it should be doing
DNS.

Anyway, I have pointed all the PCs at the DNS in the server and it has
now been stable for 2 days (used to fail a couple of times a day
before), and as you suggest it also seems to be faster doing the name
resolution.  Big result, many thanks again for your help.

Regards
Martin

Ian wrote:

>If your Server 2003 is using AD then the domain controller *must*
perform
>the DNS server role on your network. (in a simple environment)
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291382
>
>You are probably seeing a whole bunch of other things going wrong too -
slow
>logins, browsing, cripplingly slow access to shares, sluggishness on
>accessing internet sites etc.
>
>>From the technote:
>
>Question: Should I point the other Windows 2000-based and Windows
Server
>2003-based computers on my LAN to my ISP's DNS servers?
>
>Answer: No. If a Windows 2000-based or Windows Server 2003-based server
or
>workstation does not find the domain controller in DNS, you may
experience
>issues joining the domain or logging on to the domain. A Windows
2000-based
>or Windows Server 2003-based computer's preferred DNS setting should
point
>to the Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 domain controller running
DNS. If
>you are using DHCP, make sure that you view scope option #15 for the
correct
>DNS server settings for your LAN.
>
>Question: Do I need to point computers that are running Windows NT 4.0
or
>Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows 98
Second