Latest message you have seen: =?iso-8859-1?Q?RE:_=5Bukha=5Fd=5D_Dell_=A399_servers_are_back?=

ADSL - Handy Hint....

  • Subject: ADSL - Handy Hint....
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:07:10 -0000

Today, I suffered my second ADSL failure in 2 years.

The first time, earlier this year, I'd phoned up, they'd "done a line
test, and couldn't find a problem", but mysteriously the problem
vanished during the running of that line test.

Today, I phoned them (Eclipse) at 17:20, to discover that tech support
is only open until 17:00 on Saturdays. "Bother" I thought (well,
there
was more of an ugg in the word, actually).

I tried phoning BT "100", and rather than an operator, found an
"automated service", which included the option to have BT run a
line
check.

I typed in the number I wanted them to check, and put the handset down
when instructed.

About 3 minutes later, the phone rang - "BT Automated Service... line
test report.... no problems".

BUT... mysteriously, the ADSL connection works again - uncanny :-)

Key learnings:

- Running a line check appears to "blow cobwebs"

- Getting BT to do it on the "100" service has the same result,
but
doesn't involve a long hold for tech support, and is a free phonecall.

Hope this helps someone, one day...

Mark