RE: Re: CCTV on CAT5

  • Subject: RE: Re: CCTV on CAT5
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:09:40 +0100

Hi Dean.

I really quite like them... I've only got as far as installing one of the
two so far... outside the back door. It works just fine in both full
daylight and pitch blackness, although the IR illumination is somewhat
focussed, and looks kinda like a torch beam is illuminating the image... -
i.e. there's a brighter spot in the middle, which fades off towards the
edges of the frame, but it's not something I'd consider a problem.

Mind you, - I don't actually have a great deal to compare them against, -
the only other cameras I've had previously are the micromark / Voltek
variety from Homebase / B&Q et al. If you go to Henry's shop though,
they
have *loads* of cameras to choose from, and can hook any one of them up to
monitor in seconds so you can judge them for yourself...

Something I do consider a problem however, is that I seem to have a fault
in
my wiring, such that every now and then, (a couple of times a day it would
seem), the whole image "jumps" up and down by a couple of scan
lines (at
least I hope it's my wiring at fault cos otherwise it could be a fault with
the camera...). When this jumping occurs, it sometimes just does it a cuple
of times and then settles down again, and other times it will jump for
minutes before returning to normal. Obviously this is enough to trigger the
motion detection, since every pixel in the image changes, so I end up with
loads of recordings of my patio jumping up and down....

I had a bit of a hard time trying to find solder-on BNC plugs though, and
the ones I've currently got (from Maplin), I couldn't get the CAT5 core to
solder into the "pin", so it is just sort of "stuffed"
into the cenre of the
pin, so I'm hopeful that this is what's causing the problem. I need to find
a BNC plug that will better solder onto CAT5 cable, or use some BNC-CAT5
baluns instead. (someone posted a link to some of those on here back when I
started the original thread, but they were a little pricey...). Given that
using those would be by far the easiest solution, I may just buy some
anyway....

Paul G.