Re: OT? Hard Bouncing from Yahoo Groups

  • Subject: Re: OT? Hard Bouncing from Yahoo Groups
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:00:21 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Alex Clark" <alex@c...> wrote:
> Outlook 2003 also!

All Outlook 2003 users, seems a bit beyond co-incidence.

Oh wait - A google search for outlook 2003 message-ID returns 76K
hits!  Heres some relevant stuff....

> ... Microsoft apparently had a few complaints from people
> using Outlook that their machine name was "leaked" in the
> Message-ID header. Instead of ignoring the complaint or making
> the host name used in the Message-ID header configurable,
> Microsoft chose to remove the Message-ID header.

> ...Microsoft's position that they expect all mail servers
> to whitelist outgoing mail from Outlook 2003 users and add
> a Message-ID header to fill in the one that Outlook omits

So there you have it.  Its a feature.  What bollux.  The only
requirement for message-IDs is that they are unique, and this is
generally achieved by putting something specific to a given sender
in there, and in the good old days, that was often the fully
qualified domain name.  But it need not be; a big random number will
do nicely...  MS can do it with GUIDs, why not message-IDs?

All that given, I'm surprised that the MTA that you send your email
to doesnt add the header; my email server (communigate pro)
certainly does add a Message-ID if there isnt one, and qmail does,
and I'm fairly sure that sendmail (the most popular of the MTAs, but
one I no longer use) does, and the implication is that Exchange
does...