Re: [BARGAIN] Kiss DP-1000 DVD player for 99 Euros+shipping

lsn> http://www.divxplayer.nl/mpc/

lsn> No connection etc

lsn> Anyone have any of the Kiss DVD players - especially the
networked/HD
lsn> versions? Looking for an "all in one" solution to playing
DVD's, DivX's and
lsn> media from my PC and they look ideally suited.

I've got a Kiss DP-508 (networked with 80Mb HD), and it's okay.  It
has a few limitations though, and I'm planning on replacing it with a
small form factor PC fairly soon.

The limitations?  Best to take a look at www.mpeg-playcenter.com which
is where the Kiss users hang out.  The remote control is my biggest
gripe as it uses toggle codes, which makes it tricky to use a
universal remote control or indeed to control it from a PC.  It's also
limited in the media that it will play, e.g. won't play DivX with a
FourCC code of QPEL (not that common), won't play WMV or MOV files.
Fast forwarding through DivX files is frustrating as you have to wait
for it to seek through the file looking for key frames.  There's no
fast forwarding through MPEGs, only time skipping (10 seconds at a
time).  The PC-link software is awful, but there are several
replacements.  One of these replacements is EZLink which is due a new
version that will offer real-time transcoding, so some of the
objections above will no longer apply.  I'm not sorry I got it, but it
was rather pointless getting the model with the HD, as I've never
needed it.

--
Best regards,
Rob                            mailto:rob@xxxxxxx