Latest message you have seen: [OT] Avi compression

Re: KVM switches

Ho yin

I'm using a Belkin 4 port switch.

It works OK and the video signal is fine.

However, it does have a couple of idiosyncrasies (which may be down to the
PC's attached or down to the KVM)

The main "problem" is that the switching between signals is a bit
 'odd'.
The documented method of pressing the scroll lock button twice and then the
input number you want to select (Key 1 to 4) simply doesn't work reliably.
If you change to an input that doesn't have any video input, the unit stops
responding to the scroll lock signal and you have to select the input by
the
front panel buttons.

However, if you just press the units front panel button corresponding to
the
input desired, the mouse and or the keyboard  may not respond. The solution
is to press the input buttons a number of times, fairly quickly. For
instance, if input 1 is selected and you want to select input 2. Press
2-1-2
in quick succession. Input 2 will then be selected and both mouse and
keyboard will work (80% of the time !!!)

So, is the belkin unit reliable?
Yes - once you work out how to use it!

Would I buy another one?
No!

Is Belkin support good?
No No  and No! They have completely ignored my requests for information as
to why my unit responds in this manner.

Bottom line
If you can get a free Belkin KVM switch (as mine was) the Belkin unit are
extremely good value for money. Otherwise, look for another recommendation.

Regards

Neil

P.S stop thinking about KVMs and get those drawings done  ;-))

*N*