Re: OT: .com registrar

Mal Lansell wrote:

> It is, but the thing about .com (and to a lesser extent .co.uk) is
that it
> is the first choice for most people if they are trying to guess a
> company's
> web address.
>
> I for one would never think of trying .ltd.uk - I would do a Google
search
> if .co.uk or .com didn't bring up the site I was looking for - and by
> doing
> that I might stumble across a competitor!

Why not register <yourname>.* (ie .com, .net, .org, .org.uk, .co.uk,
..ltd.uk etc). The extra cost is minimal (just the registration and
domain hosting fees, which should scale), customers don't have to play
guess the address quite so much, and a competitor can't pinch
"your" name?

I've never quite understood why companies don't at least buy .com and
whatever geographical TLDs are appropriate.

Jim