Re: TiVo/wi-fi connectivity

  • Subject: Re: TiVo/wi-fi connectivity
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:38:37 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "White, Peter" <peter.white@b...>
<
> I've tried all sorts of options; firstly all the default options,
but they
> didn't work.  I've tried setting the WET11 to clone the mac address
of TiVo,
> but that doesn't seem to make a difference.  Anyone have any ideas?

Try to get it configured with, say, a laptop first - and then plug it
in to the TiVO afterwards. Diagnostics will be much easier from a lappy.

First off, make sure wired connectivity with TiVo is OK. Conncet TiVo
and lappy to small hub (or use a crossover cable) to ensure that basic
wired connectivity works as you expected, and IP addresses etc are
consistent.

You should just be able to configure the WET11 to use bridging mode,
job done. Verify laptop is able to connect to network using the WET11
and its wired port. If that works ok, you should just be able to plug
the TiVo in its place.

There is absolutely nothing special or funny wrt TiVo networking -
although the network interface only does 10MBps, not 100Mbps. Other
tips: If you use WEP, specify your key in hex, not as an ascii string.
Also obvious, but sometimes easy to overlook: make sure that whatever
IP address you assigned to your TiVo is not in use elsewhere on the
network (and that your new network is numbered more or less the same
way as your old one).

HTH
Patrick