RE: Can X10 control a ceiling fan? An LM12U buzzes and doesn't spin fast!

  • Subject: RE: Can X10 control a ceiling fan? An LM12U buzzes and doesn't spin fast!
  • From: "Robert Crawshaw" <golcarbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:58:24 +0100

Don=92t use a lamp module to control a fan, it doesn=92t work like that,
us=
e an
appliance module to do the switching on/off the only speed control you will
have are by the chain/string attched to the fan body (most are 3 speed)

Lamp modules will control a resistive load, motors are an inductive load
Or summat like that :)   someone with far more inteligence than I should be
along shortly to correct me :)

Regards.
Robert Crawshaw

Subject: [ukha_d] Can X10 control a ceiling fan? An LM12U buzzes and
doesn'=
spin fast!

Bought a ceiling fan from www.ceilingfan.co.uk to go in the living room and
thought not to buy a speed controller as I'd use an X10 lamp module to
control the speed.

Fitted it, and connected it to the mains, only to find the module and fan
buzzed a lot and the fan didn't go over 100rpm (approx - I didn't count it!
;-) )

So is there any other way X10 can control it better than an LM12U?

---