RE: X10 control of CH and HW - Y plan confusion reigns...

  • Subject: RE: X10 control of CH and HW - Y plan confusion reigns...
  • From: "Dean Smith" <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:15:38 +0100

The need for the "no hot water signal" is a quirk of the Y-Plan
wiring.

I did a lot of reading when doing when my heating and at the time
understood
exactly why this was - the fine detail escapes me now but if you're happy
have "Nothing", "Hot Water" and "Hot Water +
Heating" you should be able to
make do with 2 appliance modules. Some older systems/controllers in fact
only give these options.

I found this diagram
http://www.eatworms.org.uk/YPlan-CentralHeatingWiring.jpg
when I was
searching but could never find the original sourc again afterwards (so
apologies to the original authors

There also some good stuff on the honeywell site that explains it aswell.
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Technical/Yplan%20Installation%20Guide
.PDF

I wired relays controlled by comfort (which can do the X10 part aswell):-
http://www.eatworms.org.uk/

Dean