Re: HA VPNs

  • Subject: Re: HA VPNs
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 11:32:29 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Simon Daykin" <simons.lists@f...>
wrote:
> Sorry,  I have miss understood what you are trying to do....
>
> Is this a 2K box running a VPN and you want to send traffic of your
internal
> lan onto this for onward connectivity?  Is it a LAN-to-LAN tunnel?
>
> What route are you adding?  A specific prefix or a default route?

Win2K laptop, with a VPN connection to my home network. Firewall on
the home network allocates a P2P IP address for the VPN connection
that goes nowhere. I need to then add an explicit route to the P2P
pair to reach machines in my DMZ.

e.g.

Laptop PPP P2P VPN IP = 10.100.100.1
Firewall PPP P2P VPN IP = 10.100.100.200

To reach specific host behind firewall, on 192.168.5.x I need to add a
route like this:

route add 192.168.5.5 10.100.100.1

on the lapper.

And the final fly in the ointment is that the Laptop P2P VPN IP
rotates - so it could be 10.100.100.2, 10.100.100.3, 10.100.100.4 etc
depending on how many active connections there are at the time.

It all seems overcomplicated!

Patrick