Re: [OT?]Unicol plasma brackets + general mounting issue

  • Subject: Re: [OT?]Unicol plasma brackets + general mounting issue
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:03:29 -0000

Assuming I've got the gist of your wall being brick/block and
plasterboard attached to this substrate with batons, I've tackled a
this type of prob in the past (50kg+ load) in the following way:

1) Cut out a plasterboard rectangle in height a bit taller than your
bracket and in width to the supporting stud/batton on either side of
your desired position. Trim plaster board half way across stud so
there is a fixing for a replacement piece of plasterboard.

2) Attach ("no nails" will do it) a timber cross strip to the top
and
bottom edges of your hole to provide a fixing overlap for the
replacement piece of plasterboard

3) Attach a good piece of timber the thickness of the original studs
to the brickwork using a liberal number of frame fixings (do not put
these fixings where you need to place the bracket screws!) to provide
the backing for the bracket (i.e needs to be say 2" bigger all round
than the backplate). If the original gap (brick to plasterboard) is
<1" it's prob best to go with good plywood - I laminated up a
couple
of 18mm boards to bridge a 36mm gap.

4) Patch the hole with a piece of new plasterboard onto the
studs&noggins you left for this purpose. It's not a bad idea
(although a bit OTT) to use no nails on the bracket backing to
plasterboard interface just to ensure no play.

5) Fill joints & skim patch (easier said than done to get a good
surface - I usually end up with sanding and refilling at this point -
ho hum).  Paint etc.

6) Fix on bracket through plasterboard directly, deep, into the
wooden backing plate.

Enjoy!

(N.B. 1, 2, 4, 5 can be bodged by cutting the original plasterboard
piece out carefully using a pad saw on a 45 degree angle and using
this piece as the patch itself by no-nailing and polyfillering it
back in.  If done well it is just as good, i.e. invisible. - done
badly it justs looks like a, well like a, complete bodge up. But you
do have the advantage of having a nice plasma to disguise it.)

Regards

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tony Butler" <lists@a...> wrote:
> > You can go through all three, but you'll need some long bolts
> > and will more than likely crush the plasterboard in the
> > process as you tighten! Depends on the footprint of the bracket.
>
> True...
>
> The brackets I'm looking at don't have a huge footprint.
> Was looking at unicol but have now seen these:
> http://www.e-visionuk.co.uk/plasma-bracket.htm
>
> Which as you can see have bugger all horizontal footprint, which I
thought
> might spread the load....
>
> > Cut a hole, you can get really fancy and cut a hole slightly
> > bigger than the entire screen (For air flow) and finish it
> > nicely, your screen will then fit flusher with the wall.....NICE!
>
> No can do - the screen will "live" in an alcove between
chimney and
window.