Latest message you have seen: RE: Anyone seen the xantech touchscreens at lets automate

Re: [WAY OT] - SQL Replication

  • Subject: Re: [WAY OT] - SQL Replication
  • From: "Chris Bond" <chrisbonduk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:44:41 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, neil_frost@g... wrote:
> Sorry for the OT...
>
> I have a very large SQL 2000 database (70Gb) at work which needs
> reindexing every month (apparently - I'm not a SQL DBA I just run
the IT
> dept...)
>
> When the reindexing is done, it mucks up the replication and a new
> snapshot needs to be taken and the process started all over again.
> Apparently this is due to the way sql replicates at block level....

Erk - don't use SQL Replication it sucks! - SQL 2005 introduces it
in a completly different way but it wont be out till summer05.

> Can anyone recommend a bit of software that would handle the
replication
> instead of SQL doing it as I don't want to have to restart the
replication
> every month....

We use a SAN here and use the SAN's replication MirrorView software,
works at Disk IO level rather than database level.  You possible
want to look into using microsoft sql clustering instead of using
sql replication.