Re: [OT] Best PC Answering Machine Software?

Pete Shew wrote:

> I wrote my own based around a Dialogic card. They're not cheap but I
> happened to have one. CID, MP3 message emailed etc.
> I used to used a program called CallSoft which worked OK with a
standard
> modem, but when I got hold of a Pace modem that handled UK caller ID,
> the sound quality was not good. Maybe the modem is duff. I think the
> Pace 56 Voice is the only modem to do UK CID, but it's long been out
of
> production - eBay may help, but they're like hen's teeth.
> Call Soft are at http://www.toscintl.com/callsoft/index.html.

If it's for use with Windows, the Zoom PCI modem that PC World sell
supports UK (BT) caller ID. Make sure it has a model number with "3025
C" in it (only the Conexant chipset version works).

The linux drivers are broken when it comes to UK called ID, and the
developer seems to have little interest in getting it fixed (they're all
"Oh, that's funny. If it works in Windows it should work with our
driver
in linux. We'll look into it", and then lose interest).

Jim