Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

Re: LM12 Dimming & RF Remote

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 10:33 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] LM12 Dimming & RF Remote

> I want to get round the issue of the LD11 units being dimmed locally,
and
the HA system not knowing.  I'm thinking about using an LM12 (or LM12W) to
perform dimming, and a separate RF remote to control the HA PC.  My main
question about the LM12(W) units is how they perform the dimming.  I seem
remember someone mentioning that they come on at full brightness, then dim
to the required level.  Is that correct?

The always come on full brightness - but they do not remember any previous
dim setting.

> Secondly, what RF control should I use?  I could go the X10 route with
KR22 mounted inside the light switch and a TM13 to translate to the mains
wiring.  Are there other options?  I don't mind being reliant on a PC to
communicate with the X10 and the RF module separately.  In fact, I'd prefer
it, as I then have some sort of logic control over the lighting.  Of
course,
I would need the PC to have 100% uptime, but then again, I have such good
uptime usually that it would not be an issue.

If you're PC based, you could use an X10 RF receiver on the PC (try
www.wgldesigns.com/w800.html).  This will enable the PC to respond
imediately, rather than waiting for the event to reach it via the
powerline.
It could then sending dim messages to bring the light level down.  With the
PC doing all the control, it will always know what the dim level should be.

> Thirdly, has anyone got any experience of the MS13 PIR?  Looks like a
great solution for getting rid of light switches.

No experience, sorry.

Mal