CTI Meteor Setup

I've just bought a Meteor and I'm having some trouble getting it to
work. I bought the hardware only and there were no installation
instructions - all seemed pretty self evident but I don't seem to be
able to get it to work!

The box has two sockets on it.  The first (the larger of the 2 is a 6
pin RJ tingumy type of the size of the US phone plug) of the cables
supplied, this one seems to be for the PC serial cable (as it won't
fit into the other socket).  The second then seems to be for the
phone line (a 4 pin RJ type again but smaller).  So I have connected
1 to the pC serial and 2 to the phone line.

When I do this I get neither of the red or green LEDs lighting up on
the front of the unit.  Should I? (i.e. get some form of 'on-line'
signal here)

When a call comes in nothing happens to the LEDs either. (Should
I?).  Also I can see nothing coming in on the serial port.

So, can anyone tell me if I've connected these two wires correctly
and what I should be seeing on the LEDs when connected to the line
and when a call comes in etc.

(Checked the phone line at this socket is working and caller id is
functining - the other DECT phones all show the incoming call.)

How hard can it be!

Thanks

Richard