How to send USB keyboard signals

  • Subject: How to send USB keyboard signals
  • From: "Berg" <4berg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:14:28 -0500

Hello gents,

As a long time lurker, I have really enjoyed this forum and got many
great ideas here. Thanks !

I now am stumped and could not think of a better place to visit for help
! Could you please see if you can help ?

I am the new owner of digital set-top boxes for our televisions. I live
in Canada so the actual device might not be that relevant, but they are
the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 model. The box has a USB port to
accept a keyboard. I was inspired :)

I tried plugging in a USB keyboard in the port and I can send numbers
and other keys which can control the box. That was easy ;)

This is where I need help -

I would like to find or build a simple device that could be controlled
serially (or otherwise) to send the appropriate signal over a USB
connection to one of two or three of those set-top boxes, but I have
some many questions ..... Would you know :

- Where can I find more information about the signal sent over the USB
connection for each digit or key ?

- What connection / which wires are used to send the signals over the
USB connection ?

- Should I be able to build my own cable to send commands to the
keyboard port ?

- Before I begin a long journey to create something from scratch, do you
know of any device/software that would accomplish what I want ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Berg
London, Canada