RE: [ot] Alternatives to AutoRoute?

  • Subject: RE: [ot] Alternatives to AutoRoute?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:39:22 -0000

> From: Stephen [mailto:yahoo@xxxxxxx]
> Subject: [ukha_d] [ot] Alternatives to AutoRoute?
>
> What software do you recommend for route planning. A month or so ago I
> looked at MS AutoRoute which people say is the best, but I was told:
> 1. Autoroute 2004 does not have up-to-date maps (e.g. no M6 toll
opened
> in 2003) and
> 2. Autoroute 2005 will be out very shortly.

I'm still using Autoroute 98 !!!

<RANT>
But thats because they have built bugger all new roads in East Anglia since
then or for the forseeable future.

When I got my moped in 1976 I stuck a sticker on the top box saying
"Dual
the A47 Acle Straight". Here we are 28 years later and its still
single
carriageway with no sign of it being dualled. The government seem to be
ignoring all the rules.

Back in 1998 there was a debate in the House of Commons about the A47 which
stated the following figures

Justification for having a Dual Carriageway - 11,000 vehicles per day
Upper acceptable limit for a single carriageway - 13,000 vehicles per day
1998 traffic levels - 16,500 vehicles per day.

To me that is a "no brainer". It SHOULD be dual carriageway.

Likewise the A12. I travel 50 miles on the A12 to work and only about 12
miles of it is dual carriageway and most of the rest has now been reduced
50mph or less with nowhere to overtake. Average speed=32mph :-(

Makes me laugh when the travel reports say "the northbound carriageway
is
blocked" because so it the southbound as it is the same narrow strip
of
tarmac. The assume that being and "A" road and only 2 digits it
has to be
dual carriageway. Other parts of the country have "B" roads that
are better
:-(

I have heard a rumour that it might be worth my while buying a copy of
Autoroute 2050 as that will feature some new dual carriageway in Norfolk
and
Suffolk. The only trouble it that by then I will either have popped my
clogs
or be 90 and too doddery to drive!
</RANT>

Keith