Latest message you have seen: =?utf-8?B?UmU6IFt1a2hhX2RdIFdoYXQgZGlkIFNhbnRhIEJyaW5nPw==?=

RE: [OT]hosed my PC trying to load media edition HELP

  • Subject: RE: [OT]hosed my PC trying to load media edition HELP
  • From: "Ian" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:38:42 -0000

I see the OS wars rumble on... ;)

Of course, the real problem here is that it's *very* unlikely that the PC
(and it's components) are on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for XP
Media Centre Edition.

The HCL exists for a reason - to separate the known, tested working systems
and the buggy unreliable untested systems. Given that a goodly 80% or so of
crashes are down to dodgy device drivers, the HCL process is an important
part of the process.

In this case, Bill Gates is an innocent bystander... And the
"junk" OS works
very, very well if you use the right hardware to run it on ;)

As for the immediate problem...

If you have a second PC available, you can mount your Hard Drive up as a
slave and copy your files off that way - if not, then I'd suggest
installing
over the top as Johnathan describes.

Cheers!

Ian.