Re: After a 1K resistor and LED

Gareth Cook wrote:

> I want to add an LED , and mount it in the magnetic door sensor that's
> wired back into the alarm (Comfort). The missus likes to open the back
> door which is not an entry point and set off the alarm.
> So, I'd like an LED which lights up when the system is armed. I'm told
> 12v LED with a 1K resistor will do the trick, and i have 3 spare pairs
> going to the mag so I can wire those directly into Comfort's 12v
output.
> Any bright electro spark out there know if this will do the trick ?
> http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35782&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=2m11
> <http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35782&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=2m11>
> Seems to indicate it has a resistor built in ??

Yep, those can be drive directly from a 12v supply.

RS do quite a few 12v panel mount LEDs. Bigger and brighter than those
5mm ones... (search their site for "12v panel LED" for a
multitude of
options)

You want something nice and bright if the LED is going to stand a chance
of being visible in bright sunlight (add "sunlight" to the search
list
helps, but doesn't find all of the sunlight visible ones for some
reason)...

Jim