RE: Re: Advice on building a silent PC needed.

I have the Zalman tower thingy ....

Annoyingly it too has a pump that is audible .. very very faintly ..

It is not totally silent.

ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

However it cools my P4 3ghz and two graphic cards 24/7 at 32 deg C.

Ho yin

At 12:35 01/11/2004, you wrote:
>This is something I'm trying to do for use as an HTPC and it's not
easy. :=
/

>You can now get a totally silent PC using passive cooling, there are
sever=
al
>copper towers available for cooling (they say) up to a 3Ghz P4 as well
as
>fanless PSUs and HDD chipset coolers that are passive, even a video
card c=
an
>be passively cooled or close to silent even on the newer nVidia 6800
(mode=
>??). You can also get passive cooling for drives, although that will
limit
>the space available in the box.
>
>The problem is money frankly.
>
>A silent fanless PSU will set you back a whopping =A3100 alone before
you =
even
>go any further and to totally quieten a modern PC I should imagine
you're
>looking at the best part of =A32-300.
>
>You can also look at a compromise, quiet PSU's can be had reasonably
>cheaply, about =A350 which although they have a fan in them are whisper
qu=
iet.
>Zalman do the range of copper flower coolers which work well, I use
them
>extensively and, they are pretty damn quiet, but not silent. Chipset
coole=
rs
>are as cheap as chips so that's a non-issue. As for drives, that's a
tough
>one and it depends on the use of the machine really but I don't find
that
>drive noise on most of the modern drives is really an issue.
>
>Water cooling I went off as, other then the Zalman tower thing, I think
th=
ey