Latest message you have seen: RE: Anyone seen the xantech touchscreens at lets automate

Re: Netgear wireless music streamer (MP101)

  • Subject: Re: Netgear wireless music streamer (MP101)
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:16:02 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "White, Peter" <peter.white@b...>
wrote:
> Anyone have any experience of this box?  A friend of mine was
looking at the
> Squeezeboxes, but these come out at around half the price....

Kevin has one - he brought it with him to UKHA04, and can no doubt
provide a fuller summary. In brief, it has a lovely white on black
display which is very legible from a distance. No on-device controls
(no volume control, transport controls) which I think would be
seriously irritating. Physically, the unit is a little on the large
size (deeper than perhaps you might expect). Can't vouch for music
playing ability; I think Kevin said he had had it working with a
slimserver, but I could be confused. Definitely very good value, if
the ergonomics are to your taste.

Perhaps also worth a mention is the Homepod, which is a similar price
to the Squeeze, but is readily hackable (and also has xAP menuing
support for home control, albeit in the early stages). So far, it
looks as if the netgear is a closed shop.

Patrick